We are in still in the process of creating a new gallery system that will document as many pieces of OSE that we can find. We’re working on ways to implement the process so that new items can be easily added to the display. We will continue organizing all of the current imagery and information that has been previously gathered. Please be patient as we work through this process, thank you.
Ultimately, this section will also included our former websites ‘OSE items’ and the ‘Commemoratives’ sections.
Stoneware Rose Vase, Stein, Salt and Butter
The onlypieces put into sacks of flour was the stoneware rose vase, stein, salt and butter as shown above. Directors from different Old Sleepy Eye Milling Co. mills visited several pottery factories and decided upon Weir Pottery Co. in Monmouth, IL. They were awarded a large contract in 1903 to produce these pieces and shipped two boxcar loads of these to the OSE Mill at two different times. Each boxcar contained 500,000 pieces, which would mean there were 1,000,000 produced. The stoneware pieces were put into the flour sacks until they were all gone. The myth, the government made the OSE Milling Co. stop this advertising promotion is a falsehood also. How many of the four pieces were made is a mystery, but there seems to be more of the rose jars that survived. The blue and white, as well as the colored pitchers, were made as open stock and wholesaled to the stores of that period. Rex Beech of Sleepy Eye, MN, is considered an expert on this subject since he has many newspaper articles from that time to back up the historical truth on this subject
The following was taken from the book Monmouth Western Stoneware by Jim Martin and Bette Cooper:
“On the 15th of December, 1905, the stockholders of Weir Pottery Company voted to sell to A. D. Philpot for consolidation of their company with others in the formation of Western Stoneware Company. The bill of sale was dated December 22, 1905, at which time the corporate officers were D. S. Hardin, president; W. B. Weir, vice-president; R. H. McCoy, secretary; and J. U. Ranney, treasurer. The current Western Stoneware Company plant is on the site of the old Weir Pottery Company. This plant was to become known as Plant Two of Western Stoneware Company.”